Tuesday 19 April 2011

Ladies don't forget the wedding suits

I am recently married and wondered just how much I actually contributed to the planning of the wedding formalities and celebrations. I don't have to think long or hard because the list is rather short and simple -- cars and suits. I don't know much about cars so we just got an Audi A4 from Europcar (although we ordered an A6 but after some confusion that's what we ended up with). However, I have worked in menswear for a couple years and have dealt with a number of wedding parties, so it surprises me at the choices I made. 
 
Me and my groomsmen
My first choice was made for me. My then fiance, now wife, picked my suit while she worked for Paul Smith at David Jones. A simple black, single button, herringbone, pick stitch lapel suit by Z Zegna. For the groomsmen, black separates from Roger David. It surprises me because I always thought my groomsmen and I would all wear the same suits. We would have but 3 more Z Zegna suits would have blown my budget. In the end it didn't really matter. I think we all looked like we belonged to the same wedding party. So ladies, don't forget the wedding suits, and here's my message to you all coming from my experience.

It's the one job you give your fiance. It's the one job he has to get right. However, finding the right suit amongst the thousands available is like picking a bra and panty set for your wedding night - which he would undeniably enjoy doing for you. And as you may, or may not, explain the various details of your naughty little outfit to him, you may not realise that there are just as many details involved when selecting the right suit.
 
Firstly, there's the colour. There's black and then there's black. As you're well aware of, just because the tag says black doesn't mean it's the same black as your bridesmaids' dresses. There's an infinate amount of grays (charcoal included), navys, browns, tans, sand, and any other colour you can imagine. The simple solution is to find a colour wheel that matches your theme and stick to it.
 
The little details
Secondly, there's the style. Depending on how formal or informal you want your wedding to be, will dictate the style of your groom's suit. For formal weddings you can't go passed a dinner suit; and for casual weddings by the beach, there's nothing wrong with pants, thongs, and an open collared shirt. For everything else in between, there's your morning, lounge, cocktail, business, and everyday suit. Then there's the options of tails, single or double breasted; one, two, or no vent; peak or notch lapels, piping or pick stitching, pleated or slim trousers. To him it probably all looks the same.
 

Thirdly, there's the fabric and texture. Do you want pinstripes or plain, checks or ribbed? Does it matter if it isn't 100 per cent wool or will he sweat through his shirt if there's the tiniest trace of polyester. Does it have a sheen or does it shine too much? You don't want your photos lacking life because your groom's matt black suit sucked in all the light.
 
Finally, there's the cost. I leave cost last becasue if you really want that suit, get it. If he can't wear the suit you want on your wedding, when can he? Just be responsible. Much like how you were with your wedding dress.

No comments:

Post a Comment